Some Business Owners Are Unaware That If They Play Music in Their Business They Need a Licence

If a business includes music in its products or in their telephone on-hold system they need clearance from the owners of the music. They should be aware that penalties exist for non-compliance. This also applies to Wedding Videos, School concerts and events that play music, even as background mood music.

PRS (Performing Right Society) for Music created in Jan 2009 with MCPS (Mechanical-Copyright Protection Society) are the non-profit organization set up to ensure composers, publishers and songwriters are paid the royalties due to them whenever their music is played. This applies to live performances, TV and Radio, CD & DVD Duplication, CD & DVD Replication, in other words, all Duplicators and Replicators require a copy of the licence agreement prior to proceeding with the ‘copying’. It also applies to downloads and streams and everything in between.

The cost of the music licence will depend on a number of different factors; they include the type of premises, the size of premises and the nature and extent to which the music is used. Apparently around 350,000 businesses in the UK have paid for a licence. There are some exceptions when a licence is not needed like; treatment areas in hospitals, medical day centres, divine worship, civil and partnership ceremonies and lone and home workers.

It is the responsibility of writers of unpublished music or music published by non members of PRS to register the music and make any amendments, as well as publishers with already published music to do so on behalf of their writers. Any music that is co-written and co-published is the responsibility of all parties.

There are over forty different tariffs, which covers everything from music in shops to music on-hold telephone systems. This way there is a fairer charging system according to use. The tariffs paid will also depend on size and type of organization and premises, these will include private business, and government organizations, educational establishments etc.

finally it will also include the extent to which the music is used. Royalties are divided between the writers and publishers depending on the publishing agreement.

For the songwriter, composer or publisher, when a piece of music is registered, it will allow them to start earning money whenever it is used. This can be when it is played on the radio, TV programme or advertisement, festivals, gigs or indeed when any business uses their music in a way described earlier.